Becoming a mom is a life-changing event, and while you are probably prepared for sleepless nights, diapers, and the stress of having a small human entirely dependent on you, many women are not fully prepared for the effect that motherhood has on their body, especially in the months and years after their baby is born. The truth is that for many women, their bodies don’t simply spring back to how they were before, leading them to feel unhappy with their post-baby shape and appearance. Our leading San Francisco cosmetic surgeon. Dr. Bermudez can help to address these issues and restore your confidence with a procedure known as a Mommy Makeover.
A Mommy Makeover is the name given to a series of cosmetic surgery procedures that are performed at the same time, giving patients the benefits of having all of their areas of concern addressed in a single surgical appointment – with just one pre-op and one recovery period.
A Mommy Makeover is designed to address those areas of the body that are most affected by pregnancy and childbirth. However, exactly which procedures you will undergo will depend on the parts of your body that you would like to change and improve. Typically, Mommy Makeovers include one or more of the following surgeries:
- Breast augmentation, to restore lost volume and boost their size.
- Breast lift, to raise drooping, sagging breast tissue.
- Abdominoplasty, a procedure that seeks to tighten abdominal muscles that may have been weakened or separated during pregnancy, that removes any excess sagging skin, and creates a smoother, flatter, and tighter abdominal shape.
- Liposuction/body contouring, which looks to remove excess fat and/or skin to create greater definition in those areas of your body that cause you to feel self-conscious.
If you are looking for a Mommy Makeover in San Francisco, our cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bermudez, will ask you to attend a consultation appointment so that he can identify those areas of your body that you would like to improve and assess your suitability for a Mommy Makeover.
Before you can be approved for a Mommy Makeover, you’ll need to meet a number of criteria, which will be assessed at your consultation appointment with our San Francisco cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bermudez. Good candidates for a Mommy Makeover typically:
- Should be in good physical health and able to tolerate general anesthetic and surgical procedures with very low risk.
- Should have realistic expectations for their procedure and know that the surgeries will change the appearance of the areas being addressed but will not change the way that they look entirely or change their life path.
- Should have completed their family, as any subsequent pregnancies could undo the results of their Mommy Makeover.
- Should be choosing to undergo Mommy Makeover surgery because they want to change and improve their body, not because someone else thinks that they should.
Exactly what will happen during your Mommy Makeover will depend on the procedure that you have chosen. You’ll be placed under general anesthetic which means that you will be asleep for the duration of your surgery, and you won’t be able to feel any pain or have any memory of the procedures. Wherever incisions are made, Dr. Bermudez will ensure that they are placed in areas where they can be concealed. For example, the incision used in an abdominoplasty is usually hidden in the bikini line.
Once each surgery is complete, the area will be dressed/bandaged as appropriate before moving on to the next procedure. You can expect the entire Mommy Makeover to take around four or five hours. After this time, you will be taken into recovery and monitored while you come around from the anesthetic.
One of the biggest benefits of a Mommy Makeover is that busy moms only need to undergo one, albeit fairly intensive, recovery period. You should expect to take at least two weeks off of work or away from your usual activities. This means that you will need some support with childcare during your recovery, and this is essential as it is important that you rest and follow the guidance of your surgical team. You’ll be given very specific guidance for your recovery, which will include a list of things that you should and shouldn’t do. Adhering to this advice will help to minimize your risk of complications, improve your rate of recovery and help to ensure the best possible cosmetic outcome from your Mommy Makeover.
If you are seeking a Mommy Makeover in San Francisco, our leading cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Bermudez, is on hand to help you transform your body and restore your confidence in your figure once more. Call us at (415) 712-1800 to schedule your confidential consultation with our discreet and knowledgeable team.